Monday, June 22, 2015

Rough Runs Happen

Originally I wasn't planning on writing about today's run. I wanted to just take a shower and forget about it. When I have a rough run, it can really affect my mojo for the rest of the day, so I figured it would be best if I could just move past it.

Well, that was until I started getting messages about how it was encouraging to others to hear that everyone struggles at points.

So, I guess if this can give others a boost, I might as well post about it, right?

This morning I decided I would try and get a long run in. Hubby and I will be out of town this weekend, so instead of missing my standard Friday long run, I figured I would get it in today (I don't have to work until 4pm so I had the morning to run and get some errands done).

I made Ryan his lunch and then got some breakfast out for him so he could eat while I walked the dog. Once Walt and I got back upstairs it was time for Ry to head out to work for the day. I changed and got ready to head out for my run (I had to bust out my new #SwirlLove #TwoPairDontCare since they just got here in the mail over the weekend - BTW I got TONS of compliments on them!).

My stomach was growling since it was already close to 9am and I hadn't had anything to eat so I grabbed one of my PROBAR BASE Bars and chowed down (I went with the Peanut Butter Chocolate flavor today). (Thankfully these seem to sit well in my tummy so I don't have to worry about eating them before getting a workout in.)

I filled up a handheld water bottle and hit the road. I figured I would try to get in 14 miles but also listen to my body (especially since I had run a 15 mile run on Friday and another 10 miles yesterday morning). I thought I heard somewhere that your long runs should be 60-90 seconds slower than your MP (marathon pace), so I was shooting for 9:00-9:30/mile pace.

By the first mile I knew it was going to be a rough run. I know, I know, "they" say not to judge a run by the first mile, but when I was already drinking out of my handheld within the first half mile (normally I don't start taking sips until around mile 3) I knew it was NOT going to be the easy run I was originally planning for.


I don't know if it was the humidity, the heat, the lack of proper hydration yesterday, starting too late in the morning, or just a bad day, but that run was TOUGH! I had to start playing mind games pretty early in the run (if you can pass that lady by that light pole you can take a quick break in the shade under the next overpass).

Starting by mile 5.5 or 6 I had already started stopping. The breaks weren't long, maybe 15 or 20 seconds at first, but I find once you stop the first time on a run, it is a whole lot easier to keep stopping throughout it... I think I probably stopped at least once a mile for the remaining 7 miles of the run.

I am so thankful I brought my handheld with me, but if I was really thinking I probably would have brought my hydration vest since I drank all of my water within the first 5 or so miles (there are water fountains I can use to refill my bottle once I hit the harbor, which is what I did, but that isn't until about mile 8 or so).

By the time I got into the harbor I could tell I was overheating (and probably on the verge of being dehydrated), so when I made it to the first drinking fountain I filled up my handheld and dumped it over my head.

Then, of course, I refilled it for the next portion of my run. I ended up drinking it all within the next 2 or so miles, so I had to fill up again on the Strand. They have turned off quite a few of our beach drinking fountains because they are upgrading the bathrooms and are working on everything, so it is UBER important to know where I can refill my water during my runs.

Once I hit mile 11.5 I was pretty much done. I mean, this whole run was a struggle, but by this point I figured I could just walk the last 3 or so miles back to the house and be done with it. At one point I even turned off my Garmin and frustratedly walked about a half mile or so. Finally I decided that I could get home faster (and start replenishing my lost electrolytes) if I just ran, so I started up again.

In total I got in 13.1 miles and my time on my Garmin said a little over 2 hours, BUT I think with all of the stops, breaks, refilling of my water, etc I would say the run itself took me closer to 2 and a half hours. (My pace was right in the middle of what I was shooting for - 9:15/mile, but I know if I wouldn't have stopped my Garmin every time I took a break it would have been MUCH different.)

Really, the only good thing I could say about this run was IT IS DONE. I feel like I had to fight for each step I was taking and even now, two hours AFTER I finished, I am still feeling the effects of it (but I guess that's what dehydration will do to you).

So.... all that to say - ROUGH RUNS HAPPEN! They happen to EVERY ONE! Some people prefer not to talk about them, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. But thankfully ROUGH RUNS DON'T LAST, ROUGH RUNNERS DO! 

What do you do when you have a bad run? How do you get over it?


Scarabocchio Girl said...

When I went to Florence for a 10k in May, I had some troubles during the last 3 was horrible. I didn't planned the warmth I've found there, because I live on the mountains so I wasn't used to run with 30°C degrees. I didn't had enough drinks (water and Enervit), and even if I've stopped to the only one race break to get some water, it wasn't enough. When I've reached the finish line, my legs where shaking! I think I've drank 3 liters of water and Enervit in 5 minutes!

Hilary said...

This sounds exactly like my runs when they get rough. It's comforting to see that even a seasoned runner like you has runs like this! And I totally agree - once you take the first break, it's like there's nothing stopping you from taking more.