Saturday, August 17, 2013

Home Run Half Marathon

This morning I participated in Jost Running's Home Run Half Marathon Virtual Race. Ryan and I had a 14-miler on our training schedule for this weekend, so I thought it would be great to be able to kill two birds with one stone (says the vegetarian).

We had quite a few things working against us this morning. First, the humidity. Second, the heat. Third, we didn't get out on the road until 7am (about an hour after I was hoping for). Even so, we still wanted to get out there and conquer our run.

The first few miles weren't too bad. By about mile 4 or 5 I could tell it was going to be one of "those" runs. I could feel that my breathing was off, that my IT band on my left leg was super tight up by my hip, that my calves were super tight when we hit any incline, and that I was already getting dehydrated.

We had to stop and take a couple water breaks (and towards the end I even needed to take a couple breaks so I could try and stretch out my hip). Ryan really kept me going during this run (even if it was just because he didn't want to stop and have his muscles tighten up). He is going to rock his first half marathon - I am POSITIVE of that!

I have to say, I was pretty ticked off most of the run. I was using this as a gauge as to how the Dumbo Double Dare will go in two weeks (Saturday I run a 10K and then Sunday Ryan and I run a half marathon). Yesterday I did an easy pace 6 miles and this morning we did 14. I don't know if it was the humidity, my legs being tired from my run the previous afternoon, the lack of hydration the day before, or what. I just know I really don't want what happened this morning to happen for our half in two weeks.

I HATE HAVING BAD RUNS! I know, I know, they make the good ones feel so much better. I know they will happen - I just wish they didn't have to. It really puts me in a funk for most of the day afterwards.

We forced the smiles, you can't even tell it was a crazy 14-milers,  can you?! 

Anyway, we were able to finish the half marathon distance in 2:25:58 and our 14-miler in 2:35:50. Seems like we were able to keep a pretty steady pace of 11-minute miles (but keep in mind our water breaks weren't timed, so I don't know how much walking through water stations at our race in two weeks will effect our time).

Even though the run sucked, I am glad I stuck it out. I don't think there was ever a time during the run that I wanted to throw in the towel, especially since I was running with Ryan (and obviously my pride was getting in the way and didn't want him to see my give up).

Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and hopefully I will only have good runs from here forward :) [we can all dream, can't we].

No comments: